Spring and summer mean BBQ’s, potlucks and beach days which means hot dogs, burgers and of course potato salad. Potato salad is a comfort food for me in the summer, creamy, cold, nutrient dense and quick and easy to make.
The best part about this recipe is you cannot tell that it is vegan, vegan mayo is amazing, I like the Justmayo and Heinz brands. The flavour and texture is perfect, no non-vegan would ever know that this dish was vegan. In this recipe I used Heinz vegan mayo, I find it has the perfect mayo texture and is fairly accessible in most grocery stores.
Make any modifications that you see fit, everyone likes their potato salad a little different- some love that crunch that the vegetables add and others are all about the potato. I used red pepper, and both red and green onion however celery and red cabbage would be amazing additions to this potato salad.
- 7 medium Yukon Potato
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 a medium red onion
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 1/4 parsley
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Start by peeling and chopping the potato’s, into roughly Ince cubes, however size can be adjusted by preferred texture. Boil until you can easily poke with a fork.
- While cooking the potato’s finely chop the red pepper, and both kinds of onions.
- Remove the potato’s from the pot and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Place in a large serving bowl
- Add in all ingredients that this point and combine well until all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- Let sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours to serve cold, can be served warm as well.
Take this dish to potlucks and BBQ’s, perfect to share with anyone with almost any dietary restrictions. This is also a perfect dish for camping, pretty much any summer meal can be completed with a heaping serving of this potato salad.